California Institute of Dental Education
3585 Telegraph Road, Suite B
Ventura CA 93003
Tel: (805) 676-1063 or (805) 676-1611
Fax: (805) 676-1521
1. Radiation safety X-Ray course: This is a California Dental Board approved course in radiation safety. Without this certificate, dental assistants are not allowed to legally take X-Rays. The course will be having a lecture component, a laboratory component where students will be taking X-Rays on special manikins, and clinical component where students will need to provide their own patients to take X-Rays. Training will be 32 hours which will be divided in 8 hours of lecturing, 12 hours of laboratory instruction, and 12 hours of clinical instruction. Total of four (4) training sessions will be scheduled to meet the requirements. There will be written examination for the didactic portion, and practical examination for the laboratory and clinical portion. CIDE will provide all materials and supplies for the course.
2. Coronal polish: This is a California Dental Board approved course in coronal polishing. The course will involve 12 hours of training and it will need two (2) days for completion. The first day will involve 4 hours of lecturing, and 4 hours of laboratory training. A written exam will be given at the end of the first day. The clinical portion will be 4 hours and it will involve patients that must be provided by the students. CIDE will provide all materials and supplies for the course.
3. Pit and fissure sealants: This is a California Dental Board approved course in pit and fissure sealants. CIDE will provide all materials and supplies for the course. The course will include 16 hours of training and it will be scheduled in 2 days. The first days will include 4 hours of lecturing and 4 hours of laboratory training. Students will have a written exam at the end of the first day. The second day will involve 8 hours of clinical training. Students must provide their own patients.
4. Infection control 8 hours. This is a California Dental Board approved course in infection control. This is a mandatory course dental assistants need to have. The course will involve lecturing, laboratory, and clinical instruction. There will be a written exam that students will need to take and pass at the end of the course. This course will be completed in 1 day.
5. Dental Practice Act. This is a California Dental Board approved course in dental practice act. A total of 2 continuing education hours will be given. This course is mandatory for renewing existing RDA and dental licenses or obtaining a new RDA license. They will be held the same day.
6. Ultrasonic scaling course. This is a California Dental Board approved course in ultrasonic scaling. CIDE will provide all materials for the course. This is a 4 hour course and it will be completed in a single day. Two hours will be devoted in lecturing and to hours will be devoted in laboratory training. Students will be required to take and pass a written examination.
7. Orthodontic assistant course: This program consists of 60 hours of training, including 12 hours of didactic, 26 hours of pre-clinical/laboratory instruction, and 22 hours of clinical instruction. The student will be learning ortho assisting techniques by lecture and hands on instruction in our dental facility. When students complete this program, they will be able to sit for their Orthodontic Assistant permit exam. Please notice that concurrent completion of the Board-approved ultrasonic scaling course is a requirement by the California Dental Board in order to obtain an orthodontic assisting permit.
8. Basic Dental Assisting course: This is a 132 hour training non-accredited course leading to a certificate in Dental Assisting. It consists of 132 hours of didactic instruction that can be conducted either for a group or on one-on-one basis. Completion of separate certification courses in Infection Control, Radiation Safety, California Dental Practice Act, and Coronal Polishing are required.
9. Registered Dental Assisting Course: This program is currently not available, however, enrollment will start very soon. The program has been accredited by the Dental Board of California. Upon completion graduates will be awarded a certificate in Registered Dental Assisting (RDA). Total training is 800 hours including a didactic portion, a pre-clinical/laboratory portion, and a clinical externship. Completion of separate certification courses in Infection control, Radiation Safety, California Dental Practice Act, and Coronal polishing is required. Please contact CIDE to be placed in a waiting list so you can enroll as soon it becomes available.